Tuesday, January 10

Krav Maga

I went to my first, and unfortunately only, Krav Maga class last night. It is the training that the Israeli defense forces use, and now various law enforcement agencies use it in the United States, the FBI being among them. It is very hands on and meant to teach you real world self defense and to kick your butt into shape extremely fast. It was so cool! They taught us the proper way to punch, and showed us one kick. And then they had us punch and kick the hell out of this pad until we truly couldn't punch or kick any longer. My knuckles are all swollen on my hands! The one "move" they showed us was how to break a choke-hold if someone attacks you from the front and chokes you. To test us on this, they made half of the class stand with their eyes shut while the other half of the class went around choking us. It definitely made you panic just a little bit, not knowing who was going to get you or when they would get you. My friend Kelly from work went with me and I think we both had a good time beating up on the other one! We would both love to join and take the classes (last night was a free intro), but they charge $99/month, plus sign a contract for a year, and we both thought that was pretty excessive, considering we would probably only be able to make two classes a week. They have a full gym and other classes that they offer as well, but those aren't even included in the $99. I also didn't like the times of the classes that I would be able to take, so I guess it all works out. But, for those of you that have money to blow on fitness, trust me, this is an awesome class!

I have to say, I must not be quite as out of shape as I thought also. I figured I wouldn't be able to move today, but I really don't feel too bad at all. My arm muscles are tender and I have some bruises on my hands and wrists that bother me when I touch them, but overall my muscles aren't incredibly sore. Don't get the idea that it wasn't a good workout though--tomorrow will be day two, so I figure that is when I will really feel the pain!

1 Comments:

At January 30, 2006 5:34 PM, Blogger Me said...

Glad you liked Krav. It's an awesome workout. The cost is kind of up there, but it's well worth it. Keep in touch with your local Krav center. They may have specials from time to time. I know we do.

John Simpson
www.kravmagastlouis.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home