Monday, November 22

Good Times

It was pointed out to me earlier today (thanks Ken) that I have not written about my trip. So, here goes.

I had an absolutely wonderful time. It was so great to get to see Christina and Craig again.

Craig and I went out to dinner at DuClaw and to see The Polar Express Thursday after I arrived. Dinner was delicious and we both really enjoyed the movie. It wasn't the have to see movie of the year or anything, but it was a fun, feel good movie. And the animation was cool--sometimes it was difficult to tell if the people were real or not. The next morning we got up and went to breakfast at Eggspectation where I had a fabulous Crepe filled with eggs, ham, and cheese, with hollandaise sauce on the side. He then took me on a driving tour of Ellicott City, a little historic district. It was pouring down the rain, so driving through was plenty good enough that day. Then we headed into DC where we walked in the pouring rain to wait to get into the new Smithsonian Native American museum. I was cracking up and told Craig that he was lucky that I am not some high-maintenance girl who would freak out about jumping over puddles and getting soaking wet! The museum was amazing--something that I would really like to see again. I think you could spend days there and still not really feel like you have been able to see everything. We then headed back to his place to wait on Christina to come collect me. :)

Later that evening Christina and her sister, Rose, met me at Craig's place and I spent the rest of the weekend with them. We went to dinner and then to play poker with Jim, one of Rose's friends. It was such a fun, hilarious evening. The poker game ended with Christina winning the pot, but not without me putting up a good fight. I earned a new poker name, Frankengiggles, because I refused to die, and I just naturally giggle all the time. After the game, and after much persuasion, we finally convince Jim to sing some songs for us. He has a studio of sorts in his attic and plays in a band, so I wasn't about to let him get out of singing something for me. Even in the wee hours of the morning--somewhere around three am, I think, he still had an amazing voice. Christina and Rose joined in and did a couple of songs, and I sat back and enjoyed the show. Christina tried a couple of times to get me to join in, but I finally convinced her that I would scare her if I tried, so I got out of it. I think we finally ended up back home somewhere around five in the morning. Good times and funny conversations were the theme of the evening.

Saturday Christina and I started the day by driving to Aberdeen so that I could see where I would be working if things pan out with the job I applied for there. It seemed like a nice little place, only about a 20-25 minute drive from where she lives. In fact, Rose, Christina, and I discussed getting a place for all of us in the area where they live if I do happen to move up there. We then spent the rest of the day at Inner Harbor, shopping and touring the USS Constellation. We ended up having dinner at the California Pizza Kitchen--a must have if you ever get the chance. I had a white pizza with a butter garlic sauce, four cheeses, and spinach, and it was the best pizza I have ever in my life eaten. We thought about going downtown that night to check out some live bands but just didn't have it in us. The next morning we slept in and then went to IKEA for some shopping. I ended up with barstools finally, and a really interesting "piece of art," for lack of knowing exactly what to call it. It is this red, hanging, mobile thingy. Trust me, it is cool. The picture doesn't really do it justice. Then knowing that Christina had to work the next morning and I had to drive home, we rented a movie and stayed in for the evening.

It was so nice to relax and forget about "real" life for a few days. It was sort of sad to come home. It was great to see old friends, and meet a couple of new ones. Hopefully it won't be too awfully long before I can plan another trip.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home