Wednesday, August 4

Happy Times

It has come to my attention that my blog is making me sound like I am jaded when it comes to dating, and that all of my dating experiences have been bad. I would like to go on the record now to say that no, they haven’t been. I have actually had a lot of fun over the years. I had my first boyfriend in kindergarten. :) Mostly I ran from him, telling him not to touch me, but, it was fun! Seriously though, I have had good relationships.

In college I dated a lot while I was single. My first semester at Marshall was one of the best periods in my life. During that one semester, I received flowers more often than anyone else I knew, and they were all from different men. It was fun and free and I had a blast. It was a time in my life when I never had to question if I had plans for the weekend, I only had to question who I was making those plans with. I started seeing Todd at the very end of that semester, so “fun-time” was temporarily halted. The time while I was single, between him and Brian (both mentioned in early posts), fun-time was back and I again went out with lots of different guys, never lacking for a date when I wanted one.

Also, I mentioned “my first love” in an earlier post and that is a relationship that I look back on very fondly. Chris and I dated in high school for almost two years and we were crazy in love. The problem was that we weren’t from the same "group." Granted, that would never be an issue now, but at the time, it was a very big issue and a huge problem. My friends didn’t much like him and his friends hated me. Most of the time we were together, we kept it a secret, to keep from causing trouble with our friends. It was very difficult and straining on us, and eventually it led to our split. We remained the best of friends though—we were too close to just cut the other one out of our life. Through the rest of high school and into college we saw each other through many a break up. And, we even tried dating again, a few times, but it was long distance, and we weren’t very good at that. We finally decided that we made better friends than we made a couple. Never once did things end badly with us and I really do look back at our time together very fondly. The memories of my relationship with him are what keep me going when I have such awful experiences with dating now. For me it truly has been better to have loved and lost, than to never have loved at all. Without him, I may have given up on dating by now. Unfortunately though, even the best of friendships often have to come to an end. Our continuing friendship often caused trouble in our other dating relationships. I guess it really isn’t all that common to remain that close to an ex, and many of the people we have dated have been threatened by our closeness. It had been such a problem so many times that we finally decided that if either of us was ever going to have a relationship that would go somewhere, our friendship had to end. We still talk when we see each other, which is rare, and I do miss him. I lost one of my best friends, and that is only natural. I guess then that there is one sad thing about my relationship with him--I can’t really call him a friend any longer. Other than that, I only remember the good times we had.

There have been others, but I feel that I have now proved that I have had good dating experiences and that I am not completely jaded. So, I will continue with my man—ditching blog. :) You have to admit, it makes for better reading!

2 Comments:

At August 04, 2004 9:07 PM, Blogger Brandon said...

Crystal I haven't had a chance to read everything in-depth and I just sort of skimmed everything, but was there a conclusion to the one about the man you met at VBS?

 
At August 04, 2004 9:23 PM, Blogger Maisyday said...

I never really posted the conclusion I guess. He called one more time when I wasn't home, but didn't leave a message. I am not one of those people that call people back if I just see a number on my caller ID, so I didn't return the call. I figure if they want to talk to me, they can leave a message--especially in his case, because he didn't know that I have caller ID. And then he didn't call again after that, so it just sort of ended. Just as well with me--I hate telling guys that I don't want to go out with them!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home