Monday, August 2

A thank you and a solicitation for opinions

Hello again! I have started being lax about posting, so I had better get to it! First I want to thank those people that have been praying for Emma. She is doing better and has been able to come off the oxygen. She will still be in the hospital for about a week on antibiotics, but it looks like the worst is over. Thanks again!

Nothing too interesting has been going on, so that is why I haven’t really been posting. I went out on Saturday with a couple of friends, Tricia and Michelle, to Pizzeria Uno in Charleston, listed to a really bad singer while we ate, and then headed to Mulligans for a bit. It was a fun night, and fun to get to see Michelle again. I don’t think I had seen her since Tricia’s wedding two years ago. She is another one of the few single people that I know. She was telling us about a wedding that she has to go to in a couple of weeks that she needs a date to. So, we have devised a master plan for this weekend which includes poker at my house, alcohol, some friends, and hopefully at least a couple of single men for her meet. With any luck, by the end of the night, she will have a date to the wedding.

I have invited one guy that I am somewhat interested in, but I don’t know if he is coming yet. He is another of the men that I have tried dating, unsuccessfully. But, I don’t think he is a lost cause yet. We have known each other for about six months and have had a couple of really fun dates in that time, but things have not progressed from being “just friends.” I have not made any move to make things go any further, but that is because I am a huge chicken. And all the signs are there that he is interested in more, but he hasn’t done anything either. In fact, he already has plans this weekend, but he is trying to change them so that he can come to my poker game. Maybe he is a big chicken also—if so, this relationship is DOOMED! :)Who knows, he might not be interested in more. If he comes this weekend, that is what I hope to be able to figure out.

In the meantime, I will let you try to decide what is going on. Here are how things have gone the last six months. Our first date was a blind date back in February, the week of Valentine’s Day. We had a great time, had some good Italian food, some nice wine, he insisted on paying, and we left with plans to get together again. I get home that evening and have a message from him telling me that he hoped that I made it home okay and that he was looking forward to seeing me again. I get a sweet Valentine’s card from him and we continue talking off and on for a while, but nothing ever gets planned. Our next meeting was by chance at a conference that we both attended. He hugged me as soon as we saw each other, excited to see me. We spend most of the day together, and he invites me to his house that evening for a St. Patty’s day party. I couldn’t go, and I think he may have thought I was blowing him off. My best friend had just had a baby the day before and I was going to visit her that evening. The hospital that she was at was about two and a half hours from where he lived, so I really couldn’t make it. Still, that was when things sort of died with us. I started seeing another guy (he was still seeing other people also), which is a whole other story (the wound is healed, but the scar is still fresh), and “we” just didn’t happen. I don’t really remember what got us talking again, but a month or so ago he asked me to his house, for a poker game with him and his friends. Now, to me, this was a big date—I was meeting the friends. They all liked me and “approved” as you might say. Even his friends could see that he wasn’t making any moves toward me though and they called him on it, trying to do it in a way so that I wouldn’t know what was happening. Try as they might, they were still completely transparent. Jump to the end of the night—a long, goodnight hug. I like chivalry and guys being old-fashioned and all, but eventually you have to give a girl some sign about whether things are going anywhere. And since then, I have talked to him quite a bit, but not another date. I do know that he is coming to my house for a party that I am having next month, so I know we will be seeing each other again soon. But, it would be nice, if he is interested, to have a date a little more often than every two or three months.

Now, I would like to point out that my waiting around for months is not out of desperation. And I guess I didn’t really wait all that time—I did have the David fiasco (to be explained later). I really see some potential with this guy. We never lack for conversation, have a great time when we are together—the chemistry is great. I know I should just make a move and see what happens, but like I said earlier, I am a chicken. That is my number one reason for still being single; I let my chances pass by because I am too afraid to make the first move. The first step is to identify the problem, the next, to conquer it. That is what I am working on now. I have started in that direction by inviting him not only to this weekend’s get together, but also the one in a few weeks. So, we will see what happens!

Please leave comments! I love to read what others have to say about the situations I get myself into!

2 Comments:

At August 07, 2004 3:02 AM, Blogger oncee said...

Don't feel bad. I don't know many single people.

I go to Mulligans on Wednesday's sometimes.

Friends make the best lovers. It just take time to grow. The best girl friend I ever had was a girl I was friend with for two years before we took it to another level.

 
At August 07, 2004 2:30 PM, Blogger Maisyday said...

I agree. And I am more than happy to be friends with this guy, for as long as it takes. If it never leads to more, that is fine with me. It is just hard right now, because there is that tension between us, like both of us want things to go further, but neither of us wnats to make the first move. So, either one of us needs to quit being such a wussy and make a move, or we need to get past the tension and be happy with being friends.

Are there usually many people at Mulligans when you are there? I have been a few times on the weekends, and it is always busy, but I've never been during the week. I think one of the hardest things about being single in this area is that there aren't a lot of places to meet people, outside of bars. Or, if there are, I just don't know about them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home