Thursday, October 7

What a day!!!!

I have had one of the longest days! It came close to being the day from hell, but luckily I kept running into nice people, so that was the saving grace. To start out, I forgot to put on deodorant this morning. Don't ask--I have no idea how I could forget it. I should have known it was going to be a bad day from that moment. So, I stopped at the travel center and paid two bucks for a little tiny stick of deodorant--a full size one doesn't cost me as much as that tiny one did! Anyways, I was sure then that I wouldn't be stinky today. :) And thank goodness for that, 'cause I had a rough day.

I was headed to a place that I had never even heard of. I got directions from the company, but it seems that today I didn't know how to follow directions either, and I ended up lost. What makes it worse, is that the first time I thought I was lost and ended up turning around, it turns out I wasn't. I backtracked about 15 miles, turned around again, then saw a sign that said I was 18 miles from my the next marker to my destination. Which means that I was only three miles from it when I turned around. Great, isn't it? At this point I was already about 25 or 30 minutes late for my appointment. And I was in the middle of nowhere, so my cell phone didn't get a signal, so I couldn't call the company to let them know what was going on.

I continued on my merry way, trying to follow the directions as closely as possible, and then I really did end up lost. Luckily not too far lost, and I was able to find a gas station to ask for directions. I got even better than that--a man that was getting gas there immediately picked up on the fact that I wasn't from there, and offered to lead me to where I needed to turn off onto the next little highway. First really nice person of the day! :)

I finally made it there, only an hour late. :) Thankfully my contact was extremely nice and understanding. Second nice person of the day. In fact, he offered me a job--he was that impressed with me, even after I was an hour late. But, I didn't have all of the qualifications that he needed, nor do I want to move to this place, so I couldn't accept. It was nice to have the offer though. :)

While I was there, my contact kept getting pulled away from me by various men, and he kept coming back grinning and sort of laughing. I finally had to ask what was going on. He first told me that he would tell me later, but then started laughing and said, "Let's put it this way--we have a lot of eligible bachelors here." I had to tell him then that I had already met a couple. While I was in a conference room doing some paperwork, these two guys walked in and started pretty much staring at me. I said hi, for lack of knowing what else to do. And they told me, "Don't mind us. We aren't like the other losers here. We see a pretty lady sitting by herself, we are going to go check her out." I couldn't help but laugh! I had no idea what to reply to that. I told them thanks, and they turned and left. I guess I must have been looking pretty good today.

Which helped me out at the end of the day. At some point this morning, likely when I needlessly turned around, I ran over a nail. At about 4:00, someone came to let me know that I had a flat. Yippee. I was beyond the middle of nowhere. Now, I know how to change a flat--not a problem. My spare is a dummy tire though and I was over 100 miles from home, so that was not really an option. To get home safely, I had to get the tire repaired. Enter more nice people. Those eligible bachelors from earlier--more than willing to come and do anything they could to fix that tire. :) After just a short time, it was pumped back up enough to get me into the closest town and to a mechanic. And to make sure I made it safely, one of them followed me there. :)

You would think that was the end of the bad day, wouldn't you? No, the worst was yet to come. Let me just preface this part by saying I HATE TRAFFIC. I was so close to home, and I was so tired. For those of you that know the area--I got to shortly before the Oakwood Road Exit on I-64 West. Then everything came to a halt. Almost 40 minutes later, I finally was able to get off at the Kanawha Turnpike Exit. For those of you who don't know the area, that is probably 3-4 miles, maybe five. Forty minutes to go less than five miles. For a tired, cranky person that hates traffic, that was worse than hell. Unfortunately, no nice person to mention here. It just plain sucked. And then I got stuck in even more traffic. I would have expected it during rush hour, but it was after seven! I just wanted to get home. In the end a drive that should have taken me 2-2 1/2 hours, took me almost four.

Then I got home. To end the day of the perfect note, I broke a nail as I was getting out of the car. And not just a little chip--it broke into the quick and hurt very, very bad. I went into my house, to find that my dog had peed in my floor. Not that I was surprised. She has a tiny little bladder and it had been over thirteen hours since she had been out. I didn't blame her, but the last thing I wanted to do was have to clean up pee.

On a happy note, making this day end well, my "Guys Suck" post worked. :) My online not-so-buddy got back in touch with me tonight and is again my online buddy. We talked about everything and decided to put it in the past and forgive and forget. So, we are at least online friends again. I don't know we will ever meet. I am not going to press the issue. I am just going to be happy to have him to talk to again, if only online.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home