Thursday, September 16

A New Approach

I have been thinking quite a bit about this thing with Eric and I have come to the conclusion that his being away may just be the best possible start to a healthy relationship. Give me a chance to explain--I am sure you are think I have lost my mind right now.

In this day and time, most relationships move really, really fast. One prime example of this is the "third date rule." Are you really going to tell me that, if you have just met someone, that three dates is long enough to decide if you want to sleep with this person? Three dates can happen within a week of meeting someone! Nowadays the emotional aspect of a relationship, getting to know the person you are with, has taken a backseat to the physical aspect. It happens far too often that someone is in a "relationship" for a few months, only to realize one day that they know nothing about the person they are dating. Granted, you know their name, what they do for a living, maybe even their favorite foods and movies, but do you really know them? Do you know their goals or dreams, what they want out of life, if they want a family--things like that? People no longer talk and get to know one another. Life is so busy that everyone is constantly doing something. And often what you are doing, especially on dates, is an activity that doesn't involve talking, such as watching movies.

Anyways, after all that rambling, I will get to my point. For at least the next five months, all Eric and I can do is talk. We will be forced to get to know one another on a deeper basis, not just pure physical attraction. And, if we decide to try dating, we will be one step ahead of most beginning couples.

I am not naive enough to think that in five months time I will know all there is to know about this guy. I am not sure that you can ever really know everything about someone, even after a lifetime together. I just think that we will have a better foundation for a healthy relationship, if we decided to pursue one. Who knows though, as we get to know one another, we may find that we only want to be friends, nothing more. Only time will tell.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home