Monday, August 13

What a great weekend!

This past weekend was one of those weekends that you live for during the summer. Saturday I spent the afternoon at the Howard County Fair with Steph and Jim, petting farm animals, riding rides (gotta love the ferris wheel!), and eating fair food. There's nothing quite like a funnel cake at the fair--yummy! That evening I was invited over to Steph and Lucinda's for a cookout. After the small issue of their grill running out of gas and the cookout being moved to my house, we had a wonderful dinner of fillet mignon with mashed potatoes and asparagus. MMM, MMM! That night ended then with Lucinda's boyfriend, Kevin, leading Lucinda, Jim and myself off into the middle of the woods to watch the Perseid meteor shower. Where he took us was not that far from my house, maybe 15 minutes or so, but it seemed like we were in the middle of nowhere. I had to park my box at a gate and then we hiked for a while into the woods to this clearing. Well, to call it a clearing is not quite right--it was more like the remains of an old demolished house. We were pretty certain that Kevin was taking us out to kill us. :) But, it was worth it--we had a great view of the night sky and got to see lots of meteors shooting across it. Jim pointed out all the different constellations, which made the night even cooler. The sky was perfectly clear, and even though Saturday was not the peak night for the meteor shower, we still saw 20 or so in about an hour.

We finally made it home a little after 2:30 am, and went to bed. Ah, but there is no rest for the wicked! After waking up at 6:30 am, wide awake and unable to fall back to sleep, I gave in and got out of bed about 8:00. I got ready, gathered up all of my gear and headed to Jim's house to pick him up and we went to Ocean City for the day. It was the PERFECT day to be at the beach! It was sunny, with only a random cloud now and again in the sky, temperature in the mid-eighties, and little humidity. We spent the day on our boogie boards catching some waves and it was so much fun! It turns out that I am a natural on a boogie board--that, or I just don't know enough to be afraid. I caught some killer waves that Jim was floored I was willing to attempt. After one really awesome one where I was able to catch the bounce and head all the way in, steering my way through the crowd in the water, I had people all around me shouting out, "Nice Ride!" It was so freaking cool!!! :) I turned around and saw Jim standing out in the water, having wiped out on the same wave. I swam back out to him and he managed to say through his jealousy, "You looked cool as shit up there!" (For you old people, yes, that is a compliment, lol) Yep, I was smiling ear to ear. By the way, I've decided to quit my job and become a beach babe. It seems to be my calling. :) I only wish....After much sunning, a ride on the ferris wheel (two in one weekend, woo-hoo!), and getting our fortunes told, we had to pack up and come home. It's always so hard to leave the beach. :( There was a multi-car pile-up on the way home that delayed us for a while, so we took a detour and parked out in a corn field for a bit, hoping to see some more meteors. Alas, it was overcast, so no luck. Jim saw one, but I didn't get to see any. We finally made it home a little before midnight and my weekend had to come to an end. But, it was fun while it lasted!

Oh, another note, my box is officially a very cool car. Her first road trip was to the beach--you can't get any cooler than that! :) Still looking for a name....anyone like Bonnie? Bonnie the Box, hmm... Jim thought of Boxilla, but there is a neon green box already known as Boxilla. Who is "married" to another neon green box known as the Bride of Boxilla. So, gotta come up with something else...

5 Comments:

At August 14, 2007 6:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about Boxiana and call her Boxi to go with Baciana whom you call Baci?

 
At August 15, 2007 2:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Out in a corn field looking at stars, yeah right. When I was your age we new what a desolate corn field was good for!!!

 
At August 15, 2007 2:12 PM, Blogger Maisyday said...

Can't you people sign in before leaving comments????

 
At August 16, 2007 12:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't sign in! I forgot my username or password and Cindy doesn't remember either! I am the person who labored for hours to get you here. Know now who I am??

 
At August 16, 2007 2:18 PM, Blogger Brandon said...

I do like the Boxiana suggestion. Since I already heard about your weekend over the phone the only question I have is whether the fortune teller said anything interesting. Not that I believe in that stuff but my sister and Mom had theirs done just for fun a few weeks ago and it was eerie!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home